Ethan Hawke - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Wife, Facts, Family, Height, Career
Ethan Hawke is an American actor, director, and writer who is famous for his roles in movies including 'Before Sunrise', 'Training Day', 'Gattaca', 'Assault on Precinct 13', and 'First Reformed.' Ethan's debut as a movie actor was in the 1985 film "Explorers" before making a breakthrough appearance in the 1989 drama "Dead Poets Society". His debut as a director came in 2002 with "Chelsea Walls". At age 13, he made his first stage appearance in a school production of George Bernard Shaw's Saint Joan. His Broadway debut came in 1992 in Anton Chekhov's The Seagull. He portrayed the role of Konstantin Treplev in the play that was showcased at the Lyceum Theater, Manhattan. His first novel The Hottest State was published in 1996. He appeared in various films before taking a role in the 1994 Generation X drama "Reality Bites", for which he received critical praise. He is a recipient of the Michael Mendelson Award for his Outstanding Commitment to the Theater. In March 2004, Ethan was inducted into the Texas Film Hall of Fame in Austin, Texas. During the 2021 Gotham Awards, Ethan won the "Outstanding Performance in a New Series" award for his work in The Good Lord Bird.
What is Ethan Hawke Famous For?
- Being an actor, writer, voiceover artist, and director.
- Appearing in the movies include Dead Poets Society (1989), Gattaca (1997), Hamlet (2000), Assault on Precinct 13 (2005), Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007), Sinister (2012), Before Midnight (2013) and Boyhood (2014).
Who are the Parents of Ethan Hawke?
Ethan Hawke was born on 6th November 1970 with the birth name of Ethan Green Hawke. He is from Austin, Texas, the USA. He is of American nationality and he belongs to a mixed ethnic background of English, Scottish, Scots-Irish, Northern Irish, and German. Scorpio is his zodiac sign and his religion is Atheist. About his family, he was born to his father, James Steven Hawke, and his mother, Leslie Carole Green. His father was an insurance actuary and his mother was a charity worker by profession. His parents were high school sweethearts in Fort Worth, Texas, and married young, when Hawke's mother was 17. Hawke was born a year later. They separated and later divorced in 1974 when he was four years old. Hawke was raised by his mother. The two relocated several times, before settling in New York City. His mother remarried when he was 10 and the family moved to West Windsor Township, New Jersey. His maternal grandfather, Howard Lemuel Green, served as the elected Tarrant County Judge in Texas from 1967 to 1975, served five terms in the Texas Legislature (1957–67), and was also a minor-league baseball commissioner. He attended the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn Heights. and then attended West Windsor Plainsboro High School and the Hun School of Princeton. Later, he aspired his career in acting. He then pursued a course in acting at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He enrolled at New York University twice to study English but his acting commitments made him drop it on both occasions.
Ethan Hawke Career Timeline
- Ethan, at the age of 14, made his debut film role in Joe Dante's "Explorers" as Ben Crandall in the year 1985.
- He made his breakthrough appearance in Peter Weir's Dead Poets Society in 1989 and in the same year, he appeared in "Dad".
- His next film, 1991's White Fang, brought his first leading role.
- After that, he appeared in Keith Gordon's "A Midnight Clear" (1992), and "Alive" (1993).
- He made his Broadway debut in 1992 in Anton Chekhov's The Seagull.
- His next role was in the Generation X drama "Reality Bites" (1994) as Troy.
- He received critical acclaim for his performance in Richard Linklater's 1995 drama "Before Sunrise".
- Then, he directed the music video for the 1994 song "Stay (I Missed You)" which was sung by Lisa Loeb.
- He published his first novel in 1996, "The Hottest State", about a love affair between a young actor and a singer.
- In 1997, he was seen in the science fiction film "Gattaca" and in 1998, he appeared alongside Gwyneth Paltrow and Robert De Niro in "Great Expectations" which was then followed by "The Newton Boys", "Snow Falling on Cedars", "Hamlet", "Waking Life", "Tape", "Training Day".
- He made his directorial debut with "Chelsea Walls" (2002).
- He released his second novel "Ash Wednesday" in 2002.
- In 2003, Hawke made a television appearance, guest-starring in the second season of the television series "Alias".
- He starred in "Taking Lives" and "Before Sunset" in 2004.
- Next, he starred in the 2005 action thriller "Assault on Precinct 13" and also he was seen in the political crime thriller "Lord of War".
- He was cast in a supporting role in "Fast Food Nation" in 2006 and directed his second feature, "The Hottest State" in the same year.
- He then starred in the crime drama "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" in 2007 and also starred with Mark Ruffalo in the crime drama "What Doesn't Kill You" in 2008.
- In the year 2009, he appeared in two features: "New York, I Love You" and "Staten Island".
- He starred as a vampire hematologist in the science fiction horror film "Daybreakers" in 2010.
- After that, he has appeared in "Brooklyn's Finest", "Moby-Dick", "The Woman in the Fifth", "Sinister", "Before Midnight", "The Purge", "Gateway", "Boyhood", "Predestination", "Born to Be Blue", "Maggie's Plan", "Ten Thousand Saints", "Regression", "Rules for a Knight", "In a Valley of Violence", "The Phenom", "Maudie", "The Magnificent Seven".
- In September 2014, Hawke's documentary debut, Seymour: An Introduction, screened at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), winning second runner-up for TIFF's People's Choice Award for Best Documentary.
- His fourth book, "Indeh: A Story of the Apache Wars" was released in 2016.
- Next, he appeared in a cameo role in the science fiction film "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" in 2017, and also he was seen in "First Reformed".
- In 2018, he was seen in "Juliet, Naked", "Blaze", "Stockholm", and in 2019, he appeared in "The Kid".
- In the 2020 biographical film "Tesla", he plays the title character, inventor and engineer Nikola Tesla.
- He was then cast as the primary villain Arthur Harrow in the Disney+ streaming series "Moon Knight" in January 2021.
- He was announced as the newest addition to the Blumhouse feature, "The Black Phone" on 28th January 2021.
- He was also cast in Robert Eggers' latest film, "The Northman".
- His third novel, "A Bright Ray of Darkness", was published in February 2021.
Awards and Achievements
- Won Critics' Choice Movie Awards in 2014 for "The Before Trilogy"
- Won Independent Spirit Awards in 2019 for his work in "First Reformed"
Who is Ethan Hawke Wife?
Ethan Hawke is a married man to his beautiful wife, Ryan Shawhughes. Ryan is the nanny of Ethan's kids. The couple has two daughters Clementine Jane who was born in 2008 and Indiana who was born in 2011. Dismissing speculation about their relationship, Hawke said, "my [first] marriage disintegrated due to many pressures, none of which were remotely connected to Ryan." His sexual orientation is straight and he is not gay. They are enjoying their present life happily.
Previously, he dated Elisa Jordana, Karen Campbell in 1991, Julia Roberts in 1995, Uma Thurman (1996-2004), and Jennifer Perzow in 2003. Hawke's first wife, Uma Thurman is an actress with whom he first met on the sets of Gattaca in 1996 and later, got married on May 1, 1998. The couple had two children – a daughter Maya who was born in 1998 and a son Levon born in 2002. They split in 2003 after Thurman alleged that Hawke was cheating on her. In August 2005, they legally got divorced.
How much is Ethan Hawke Net Worth?
Ethan Hawke is a talented actor, writer, and director who has accumulated a net worth of $55 Million as of 2022. Reports indicate he probably took home around $2 million for that one film alone. His main source of income is from the entertainment industry. Ethan Hawke's $2m The Purge payday is a fine example of Blumhouse economics, as they pay the stars scale and promise generous backend points if the film ends up in theaters. The Purge earned $89m worldwide, so Hawke got a lot more than scale for the 2013 franchise-starter. In 2015, Ethan appeared in the "The Future Starts Now" TV commercial for Microsoft Windows 10. In 2012, Hawke purchased a $3.9 million townhome in Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Daily Eagle reported. The 4,026-square-foot home features six bedrooms, five full bathrooms, and one half-bathroom, Variety reported. Previously, he owned a townhouse in New York City's Chelsea area, which he listed for $6.25 million in 2013. He now lives in a $3.95 million house in Boerum Hill and also he owns a private island in Nova Scotia. He is living a lavish lifestyle at present.
What is Ethan Hawke Height and Weight?
Ethan Hawke is a handsome actor with a height of 5 feet 10¾ inches or 180 cm. He weighs around 76 kg or 167.5 pounds. His body type is slim. His hair color is dark brown and his eye color is blue. His body measurement is Chest – 40 in or 102 cm, Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm, and Waist – 32 in or 81 cm.
Trivias About Ethan Hawke You Need To Know.
- He is a second cousin twice-removed of Tennessee Williams on his father's side.
- Hawke supports the Democratic Party, and supported Bill Bradley, John Kerry, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton for President of the United States in 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2016, respectively.
- He is also a supporter of gay rights; in March 2011, he and his wife released a video supporting same-sex marriage in New York.
- He has served as a co-chair of the New York Public Library's Young Lions Committee, one of New York's major philanthropic boards.