George Strait - Bio, Net Worth, Affair, Wife, Married, Tour, Concert, Age, Facts, Wiki, Height, Family, Songs, Albums, Movies, Awards, Career, Trivia
George Strait is a legendary figure in the Country music industry and the one vital force in the industry. He is an American country singer and songwriter whose work endeared him to many hearts and earned him the title "The King of Country". Apart from music, he has also appeared in several film productions. Here is everything you need to know about the esteemed American singer beyond just his music.
What is George Strait Famous for?
- An American country music singer, actor, and songwriter.
- Being true to traditional country music while developing his own unique style of bar-room ballads, western swing and honky-tonk style music.
George Strait Scores Record, Extending 27th No. 1 on Top Country Albums Chart
George Strait extends his record for the most No. 1 in the five-decade history of Billboard’s Top Country Albums chart, as the King of Country logs his 27th leader with the chart-topping debut of Honky Tonk Time Machine. Strait continues to widen the gap over him and the acts tied with the second-most No. 1s, Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson. Both have 17 leaders.
Honky Tonk Time Machine starts with 51,000 equivalent album units earned in the U.S. in the week ending April 4, according to Nielsen Music. It has notched the largest week of 2019 for any country album. Of its starting sum, 44,000 were in album sales, the biggest sales week of the year for a country setting.
Strait made his Top Country Albums chart debut on the list dated Oct. 3, 1981, with his debut effort, Strait Country, which peaked at No. 26. He notched his first No. 1 in 1984 with his third studio set, Right or Wrong. Strait’s new album was ushered in by the single “Every Little Honky Tonk Bar,” which climbed 21-19 on the most recently published Country Airplay chart.
What did George Strait die from?
George Harvey Strait was born to John Byron Strait and Doris Couser Strait in Poteet, Texas. He grew up in Frio County. His birth name is George Harvey Strait. He is American by nationality and belongs to the White ethnic group. His birth sign is Taurus.
His father is a school teacher and mother is a housewife. His father owned a two-thousand-acre cattle ranch outside a Big Wells, Texas. He has two siblings, John Jr., and Pency. His parents divorced when he was young. George moved away with his sister and left behind him and his brother with his father.
George attended Pearsall High School where he played in a rock band and roll garage. After George was retiring from the Army in 1975; he enrolled at Southwest Texas State University in San Marcos and pursued a degree in agriculture.
When did George Strait pursue his singing and acting career?
- Before fame, George was in an army in Hawaii and began performing with army-sponsored band ‘Rambling Country.’ While he was pursuing his college degree, he joined a country band ‘Stoney Ridge’ and worked as a vocalist.
- Later he became the leader of the band and renamed the group as “Ace in the Hole.” George performed in various parts of Texas and gained many fans and followers.
- His career took into next level when he signed a deal with MCA Records in 1981. In the same year, he released his first single ‘Unwound’ which peaked at number 6 on the Billboard Hot Country Songs.
- In 1982, he released his second album ‘Strait from the Heart’ which climbed to 18 on Billboard Top Country Albums.
- George’s seventh album ‘Ocean Front Property’ released in 1987 and got the top spot on Billboard Top Country Albums. The album was certified 2x Multi-platinum by RIAA and ranked at top five on CMT’s list ’40 Greatest Albums in Country Music’ in 2006.
- His tenth studio album ‘Livin It Up’ was released in 1990 including ‘Love Without End’, ‘Amen’ and followed with ‘Chill of an Early Fall’ in 1991 and ‘Holding My Own’ in 1992.
- In 2000, he released a self-titled album titled ‘George Strait’ which debuted at number one on Billboard Top Country Albums and number 7 on Billboard 200.
- His three singles were released from the records, ‘Go On’, ‘Don’t Make Me Come Over There and Love You’ and ‘If You Can Do Anything Else’ and followed it with the critically acclaimed ‘The Road Less Traveled’ in 2001.
- In October 2006, George Strait marked the 30th year in the music industry and celebrated by releasing a new album ‘It Just Comes Natural’ which featured 15 songs. His other albums are ‘Troubadour’, ‘Twang’ and ‘Here for a Good Time’.
- In 2009, Strait was honored by the Academy of Country Music with the Artist of the Decade Award. His twenty-sixth album ‘Twang’ was released in 2009 which debuted at number one on both Billboard Top Country Albums and US Billboard 200.
- As of January 2011, the album had sold 662,023 copies in the US. The album was certified gold and was also nominated for Best Country Album at the 2010 Grammy Awards.
- Throughout his career, he has released several hit singles like ‘Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind’, ‘Something Special’, ‘Ocean Front Property’ and ‘Beyond the Blue Neon’.
- However, on September 26, 2012, George announced that he was retiring from touring and that his Cowboy Rides Away Tour would be his last. He has done a total of 47 concerts, 21 concerts in 2013 and 26 concerts in 2014.
- In 2018, Strait released a single called "Codigo", after a brand of tequila produced by a company in which he had invested.
- As on today, he has sold more than 70 million albums in the US and holds the world record for having the maximum number-one hit singles in the history of music.
- Apart from his music career, he has acted in several movies. He starred in the film ‘Pure Country’ directed by Christopher Cain. However, the movie was a flop at the box office but the soundtracks were a critical hit. The movie grossed just over $15 million at the box office.
- Moreover, he has played in a number of movies such as ‘The Soldier’, ‘Grand Champion’ and ‘Pure Country 2: The Gift’. He voiced the character o Cornell in the animated sitcom ‘King o the Hill.’
Does George Strait win the awards?
George Strait holds the record for the most of No.1 albums and singles, gold albums, platinum albums and multi-platinum albums in the history of country music. George won Grammy Awards for Best Country Album for 2008 Troubadour album. Further, He was named Artist of the Decade for the 2000s by the Academy of Country Music in 2009. He received the award from the previous winner Garth Brooks.
Who is George Strait married to?
Reflecting his personal life, He was a married man. George and Norma Strait were the high school sweethearts who eloped in Mexico on December 4, 1971. After a few weeks, they exchanged vows at a church in Pearsall, Texas. George and his wife have spent 47 years together. The couple celebrated their 40 years together in 2011.
He talked about his marriage to PEOPLE, “We love each other, and we still like each other. We’re so blessed that we were able to experience this life together, to support each other through everything, good times and bad. ”
The couple gave birth to their first child, a daughter named Jenifer Strait, born on October 6, 1972. They welcomed their second child, George Strait Jr., known as Bubba, born in 1981.
George’s daughter, Jennifer was killed in a San Marcos car accident on June 25, 1986, when she was only 13 years old. In the memory of their daughter, the couple founded a foundation named ‘Lynn Strait Foundation.’
How much is George Strait net worth?
George is one of the highest-paid country music singers in the world. Moreover, he earns a huge amount of money through his music sales, tours, and concerts.
The country singer, George Strait has an estimated net worth of $326 million and an average annual salary of $20 million at present.
How tall is George Strait?
Observing his body statistics, He stands a heigh of 5 feet 10 inches with a 77 Kg weight that supports his frame. His other body information was not disclosed yet. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know. Further, his foot size is 10 (US).
Trivias About George Strait You Need To Know.
- He has had at least one of his No. 1 hits rank among the top 5 hits of the year, according to Billboard magazine, in the years 1983, 1984, 1990, 1991 and every year between 1995 and 2000, though none of them ranked as the No. 1 song of the year on the Billboard survey.
- In 1989, He has given the American Success Award by President George Bush.
- He served a three-year stint in Hawaii with the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War era, first in the payroll department and later in entertainment/music.
- Despite being one of the biggest names in country music and having the most number one hits of any recording artist, as of 2019, he does not have a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame.