Janelle Monae - Bio, Net Worth, Dating, Girlfriend, Gay, Awards, Albums, Age, Facts, Wiki, Family, Height, Tour, Songs, Parents, Ethnicity, Partner
Janelle Monae is one of the unique singers who took the music industry by storm. Many people may not be aware that she had been in the music industry for years as she is one of those artists who seemingly had a big break out of nowhere. She seemingly had a big break out of The ArchAndroid album which got her a Grammy nomination. She has continued in that futuristic bent since then and has quite some fans who love her for that unique style. Let's know more about her through this article.
What is Janelle Monae famous for?
- An American singer, actress, songwriter, and model.
What ethnicity is Janelle Monae?
Recalling her early life, Janelle was born in Kansas City, Kansas as Janelle Monáe Robinson in the year 1985. Her parents are Janet and a truck driver, Michael Robinson Summers. She spent most of her early years in Kansas and always dreamt of being a singer and a performer. Similarly, Her nationality is American and ethnicity is African-American.
Which institute does Janelle Monae go to study?
For education, Janelle initially graduated from F.L. Schlagle High School. She later moved to New York City to study drama and attended the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, where she became part of a performing arts camp called Freedom Theatre. She founded the Wondaland Arts Society after moving to Atlanta, Georgia in 2001.
When did Janelle Monae begin her music career?
- Moving towards his career, Janelle got her first break in 2006 when she performed with OutKast in their album titled Idlewild where she appeared in the numbers Call the Law and In Your Dreams. Her talent was recognized by Big Boi and his friend Sean Combs who helped her build her profile as a singer.
- She released her first solo titled Metropolis in 2007 which was again released in 2008 with some additional tracks and called Metropolis: The Chase Suite. The EP got her a nomination for Best Urban / Alternative Performance at the Grammy Awards.
- Her single Many Moons hit the top of the charts and her number Open Happiness was featured in the final season of American Idol in 2009. This was followed by her single ‘Tightrope’ that featured in the American Idols LIVE! Tour of 2011.
- Her studio album The Electric Lady was a hit with jazz fans and was featured at the Toronto Jazz Festival, North Sea Jazz Festival and Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland in 2012. Her single Q.U.E.E.N. from the album premiered on SoundCloud and iTunes making over 31,000 digital sales.
- She was selected as a spokesperson for America’s cosmetic brand, Cover Girl and performed in the festival in support of President Obama. She has appeared in several commercials including the campaign for Sonos Wireless HiFi home audio systems.
- She has made several live performances that include her appearance at the Global Citizens Festival in Central Park with stars like Stevie Wonder. She also made a guest appearance on Saturday Night Live with host Edward Norton.
- In 2014, she was honored with the award for Achievement in Arts and Media at the Harvard College Women’s Centre which was high in her career as a singer.
- By 2015, she established an independent label, Wondaland Records. Her celebrity status grew and she started patronizing various fashion events, including the London Fashion Week, 2015.
- In 2016, she made her debut appearance in the movie Moonlight with Andre Holland and Naomie Harris. This was followed by a role in the film Hidden Figures with Octavia Spencer the same year.
- During this period she remained active on the music scene with the release of the number Venus Fly and the soundtrack for the series The Get Down on Netflix. She was also part of the soundtrack for her film Hidden Figures. She is presently working on her role in the upcoming movie The Women of Marwen.
- On November 15th, 2018, it was announced that she would receive the Trailblazer of the Year award at the 2018 Billboard Women in Music event, which was held on December 6th, 2018.
- In 2019, she co-starred in the film Harriet, about abolitionist Harriet Tubman.
Is Janelle Monae dating someone?
Reflecting on her personal life, Janelle is yet to be married but is a relationship with both sexes. She identifies as a pansexual and bisexual herself.
She was reported to be seeing British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton in 2015 after they were spotted together in Paris attending numerous events during the Paris Fashion Week. She was also rumored to be in a relationship with actress Tessa Thompson in 2018.
What is the net worth of Janelle Monae?
Being a part of the music industry, Janelle earns a decent amount of money and fame through her profession as a singer and songwriter. Based on some online sources, her estimated net worth said to be $9 million at present. However, her salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Janelle Monae?
Observing her body physics, Janelle stands a height of 5 feet 0 inches and weighs around 52 Kg. Similarly, she has a pair of brown eyes and dark brown hair color. She used 33B bra size and 6 (US) dress sizes. Further, her body measures 33-25-34 inches and her body shape is an hourglass.
Trivias About Janelle Monae You Need To Know.
- She likes unusual outfits.
- She often wears her hair in braids.
- When she was a kid one of the examples to follow was the hero of Dorothy Gale.
- At the beginning of her career she established the Wondaland Arts Society together with her friends.