Jessica Walter (Actress) Bio, Net Worth, Story, Death Cause, Husband, Nationality, Age, Parents, Family, Height, Wiki, Awards, Career, Facts, Kids
Jessica Walter was an American actress who spent her entire life in the entertainment industry as an actress. Started out her acting career on stage, she later moved to television works. She is best known for her role as Lucille Bluth on the sitcom Arrested Development and for her lead role in the series, Amy Prentiss. She is also known for her work in films, Play Misty for Me, Grand Prix, and The Group. She won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for her role in Amy Prentiss. As a voice actress, she has provided the voice for numerous television series including Dinosaurs, Archer, and Star vs. the Forces of Evil among others.
The Brooklyn native actress Jessica Walter died at the age of 80 on 24 March 2021 in Manhattan, New York.
What is Jessica Walter Famous For?
- Her role as Lucille Bluth on the sitcom, Arrested Development.
Where was Jessica Walter From?
Jessica Walter was born on 31 January 1941. Her birth place is in Brooklyn, New York in the United States, She held an American nationality. Walter was born to mother Esther Groisser and father David Walter.
Her Jewish mother immigrated from USSR to the United States and married David Walter. She belonged to white ethnicity. Her zodiac sign was Aquarius. She has a brother, Richard Walter. Richard is also in the entertainment industry and works as a screenwriter. She described herself as non-religious but also states that she is "very Jewish in my heart".
Walter was into acting from an early age. Thus, she attended New York City's High School of Performing Arts.
Jessica Walter Career
- Jessica Walter's acting career started on stage. She starred in numerous theater productions.
- For her performance in Peter Ustinov's play, Photo Finish, Walter won a Clarence Derwent Award for Outstanding Debut Broadway Performance in 1963.
- She then shifted from theater works to television works.
- Walter made her television debut with the soap opera, Love of Life in 1962. She starred as Julie Muranoon in the soap opera until 1965.
- She later went on to star in guest or minor roles in numerous television series.
- She won her first Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for her titular role in the police drama series, Amy Prentiss.
- Around the same time, she started working in movies as well.
- Walter made her film debut with the 1964 neo-noir drama film, Lilith.
- She earned her first Golden Globe Award nomination for her role as Pat Stoddard in the 1966 sports drama film, Grand Prix.
- She earned her second Golden Globe Award nomination for her role in the 1971 movie, Play Misty for Me. She portrayed a young woman with behavior consistent with borderline personality disorder who becomes infatuated with and ultimately stalks a disc jockey.
- Walter starring other films are The Group (1966), Bye Bye Braverman (1968), Number One (1969), Victory at Entebbe (1976), Goldengirl (1979), Going Ape! (1981), Spring Fever (1983), The Flamingo Kid (1984), Tapeheads (1988), Ghost in the Machine (1993), PCU (1994), Temptress (1995), Slums of Bevery Hills (1998), Dummy (2003), Unaccompanied Minors (2006), Bending the Rules (2012), Undercover Grandpa (2017), and The Mimic (2021).
- On Television, Walter is best known for her role as Lucille Bluth in the sitcom, Arrested Development.
- She appeared in the sitcom between 2003-06, in 2013, and in 2018-19.
- The series was canceled due to low ratings in 2006. Netflix revived the series in 2013. Walter returned on the 5th season of Arrested Development in 2018.
- For her work in Arrested Development, she won the Satellite Award for Best Supporting Actress -Series, Miniseries or Television Film in 2003 and TV Land Award for Future Classic in 2004. She was also nominated for Emmy Award and Screen Actors Guild Award for her role.
- Her other noticeable television works are Aaron's Way in 1988, 90210 from 2008-09, Retired at 35 from 2011-12, and Jennifer Falls in 2014 among others.
- Walter is also a voice actress with voice roles in numerous animated television shows.
- She is best known for providing a voice in Wildfire (1986), Dinosaurs from 199-94, and Archer from 2009-21. She also has guest voice roles in several animated series including The Magic School Bus, The Life and Times of Juniper Lee, The Land Before Time, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated, Turbo: F.A.S.T., Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and Justice League Action.
Jessica Walter Husband and Daughter
Jessica Walter was married twice in her life. She was first married to Ross Bowman. Bowman was a Broadway stage manager and television director. They were married from 1966 to 1978. The couple shared a daughter, Brooke Bowman, born in 1972.
Walter then married actor Ron Liebman. They got married in 1983. They portrayed on-screen husband and wife in the 2003 film, Dummy. They also appeared together in Neil Simon's play Rumors and Law & Order. They do not share any children together. Walter's husband Leibman died in 2019.
While working on Arrested Development in 2018, a controversy about harassment erupted. Walter was reportedly harassed by co-star Jeffrey Tambor. Tambor, Tony Hale, and David Cross received massive criticism. They eventually apologized to Walter.
Walter stood at an average American height and had average body weight. Her eye color was dark brown and her hair color was brown. Her sexual orientation was straight.
Jessica Walter Cause of Death
Hollywood lost one of the veteran actresses in March 2021. Emmy Award-winning actress, Jessica Walter left this world at the age of 80 on 24 March 2021. She died in her sleep at her Manhattan home. She reportedly died of natural cause. More details on her death cause will be updated here. Upon her death, her fans and well-wishers paid tributes to her.
Jessica Walter Net Worth
Jessica Walter spent the majority of her life working as an actress in the entertainment industry. Having started out her career as a theater actress, she later went on to star in numerous movies and television series. An Emmy Award-winning actress, Walter has also provided her voice in numerous animated television series. Around the time of her death, she had a net worth of around $4 million.
Did You Know?
- She has guest roles in television series, The F.B.I, Mission: Impossible, The Magician, Hawaii Five-O, Ironside, Law & Order, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS, and American Housewife among others.
- Her father was a musician and a member of the NBC Symphony Orchestra and the NYC Ballet Orchestra.
- Her brother Richard Walter is a screenwriter.
- She died just one day after the death of her frequent collaborator actor, George Segal.
- Her daughter, Brooke Bowman previously worked as an executive for 21st Century Fox Television.