Last updated on August 23rd, 2023 at 04:29 pm
Facts About Kirk Douglas
|106 Years Old
|Issur Danielovitch Demsky
|Actor , Director , Author
|Place Of Birth
|Amsterdam, New York
|Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|St. Lawrence University
|Diana Douglas (M. 1943; Div. 1951) and Anne Buydens (M. 1954 to Present)
|5 feet 9 inches
|Source of Wealth
Kirk Douglas is an American actor, producer, and director who rose from the ghettos to become a superstar in American cinema. He was a very keen student and athlete. He was fond of acting and at a very young age realized that getting a scholarship for acting would be the road to salvation from his poor and wretched condition.
He has acted in a large number of movies including serious works, thrillers, westerns, and comedies. His gravelly voice, dimpled chin, steely and penetrating gaze helped him to play roles that were very compelling and brought him to rave reviews. He has acted in a variety of roles ranging from an opportunistic and untrustworthy character to a rebellious and unsavory character. He has acted in sci-fi thrillers and has been nominated for the Oscar many times. Let's know more about the multi-talented actor through this article.
What is Kirk Douglas famous for?
- A retired American actor, producer, director, and author.
- His charity work.
- Still The Oldest Celebrity Alive
How old is Kirk Douglas?
Recalling his early life, Douglas was born in Amsterdam, New York, the USA to Herschel Danielovitch and Bryna Sanglel Danielovitch as Issur Danielovitch Demsky. His parents were very poor Jewish immigrants from Chavusy, located in present-day Belarus. He grew up with his six sisters. He is American by nationality and belongs to white ethnicity. His birth sign is Sagittarius and he is Jewish by religion. Currently, he aged 103 years old.
During his early days, he worked at different jobs to support himself and his family and wanted to become a professional actor.
Where is Kirk Douglas go for education?
After completing high school, he was able to get a loan from the Dean of the St. Lawrence University to pay for his studies. He then got a scholarship for studying acting from New York’s ‘American Academy of Dramatic Arts’ which recognized his acting talent.
How Kirk Douglas become an actor?
- Moving towards his career, Douglas started his acting career with a handful of minor roles in various Broadway productions. He joined the US Navy in 1941 during the Second World War and returned to acting in the theater after the end of the war in 1945.
- In 1946, Hal B. Wallis gave him the lead role in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers which brought rave reviews. Similarly, he acted in the low-key drama I Walk Alone alongside Burt Lancaster for the first time in 1948. Further, He received his first nomination for the Oscar in 1949 for his role in Champion.
- Later, He acted in the film Ace in the Hole in 1951. The Bad and the Beautiful brought him his second Oscar nomination in 1952. Similarly, He started his own production company Bryna Productions in 1955.
- His third Oscar nomination came with the film Lust for Life in 1956. The film Gunfight at the O.K. Corral in 1957 was another of his films with Burt Lancaster. Likewise, He acted in the anti-war epic Paths of Glory in 1957 and the magnificent film Spartacus in 1960 under the banner of Bryna Productions.
- In 1962, he acted in the western Lonely Are the Brave while in 1963 he appeared in the stage adaptation of One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest which was made into a film in 1975 by his son Michael.
- In 1964, he acted in the political thriller Seven Days in May. He acted alongside John Wayne in the Second World War film in Harm’s Way in 1965.
- In 1966, he acted in the film Cast a Giant Shadow based on the Israeli freedom struggle. His second film with John Wayne was The War Wagon in 1967.
- He directed Scalawag in 1973 and Posse in 1975 but did not have much success at the box-office. He starred alongside a young Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Western comedy film The Villain in 1979. His sci-fi film ‘Saturn 3’ with Farah Fawcett came out in 1980. Likewise, He produced two great movies Dance with the Devil and The Gift in 1990 and 1992 respectively. Further, He starred in the comedy Diamonds in 1999. He was nominated for the Emmy Award for a guest appearance in Touched by an Angel in 2000.
- In 2003, he acted with his son Michael in the film It Runs in the Family. Similarly, In 2009, he staged a one-man show Before I Forget and was greatly appreciated for his performance.
When did Kirk Douglas begin writing?
- Moving toward his writing career, He brought out his autography titled The Ragman’s Son in 1988, which was a best-seller. He published the non-fiction, Climbing the Mountain: My Search for Meaning in 1997 and in 2003 and My Stroke of Luck.
- Similarly, He published the biographical work Let’s Face It: 90 Years of Living, Loving, and Learning in 2007 and I am Spartacus! The making of a Film, Breaking the Blacklist in 2012.
Who is Kirk Douglas married to?
Reflecting on his personal life, Douglas was married twice in his life. Firstly, he was married to Diana Dill on November 02nd, 1943. After eight years, the pair divorced on February 23rd, 1951. Until their divorce, the pair produces two children. They are Michael and Joel.
He later married his second wife Anne Budyens on May 29th, 1954. The pair also produces two children. They are Peter and Eric. Throughout their marriage, He had affairs with other women including several Hollywood starlets. Presently, He was a blissful life with their family.
Since the early 1990s, Kirk and Anne Douglas have donated up to $40 million to Harry's Haven, an Alzheimer's treatment facility in Woodland Hills, to care for patients at the Motion Picture Home.
To celebrate his 99th birthday in December 2015, they donated another $15 million to help expand the facility with a new two-story Kirk Douglas Care Pavilion. Douglas has donated a number of playgrounds in Jerusalem and donated the Kirk Douglas Theater at the Aish Center across from the Western Wall.
On December 09th, 2016, Douglas became a centenarian. He celebrated his 100th birthday at the Beverly Hills Hotel, joined by several of his friends and family. The legendary actor turned 103 on 09th December 2019, and in honor of his special day, he was showered with touching messages from famous family members.
How much is Kirk Douglas's net worth?
Being an actor, producer, and author, Douglas earns the sum of a good amount of money and fame through his profession in the field of the entertainment industry since 1946. Based on some online reports, his estimated net worth said to be $60 million at present. However, his salary is yet to be disclosed.
How tall is Kirk Douglas?
Observing his body statistics, Douglas stands a height of 5 feet 9 inches and weighs around 152 lbs. He has a pair of blue eyes and grey hair color. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosed, we will let you know.
Trivias About Kirk Douglas You Need To Know.
- He earned $50,000 for saying the only English word at the end of a 1980s Japanese TV commercial: "Coffee".
- He survived a helicopter crash on February 23, 1991, in which two fellow occupants were killed. He was left with a debilitating back injury.
- In 2001, he was awarded the American National Medal of Arts from the National Endowment of the Arts.
- An avid user of the Internet.
- His acting mentor was Gary Cooper.