Martin Sheen - Bio, Net Worth, Full Name, Wife, Family, Parents, Children, President, Age, Birthday, Facts, Wiki, Height, Career, Awards, Commercial
Martin Sheen is an American legendary actor who is well known for his role as United States President Josiah Bartlet in the television series, "The West Wing"(1999–2006). Sheen first became known for his role as Timmy Cleary in "The Subject Was Roses"(1968) and Kit Carruthers in "Badlands"(1973). He then got much recognition for his lead role as Captain Benjamin L. Willard in an epic war, "Apocalypse Now"(1979) and currently stars as Robert Hanson in the Netflix television series, "Grace and Frankie"(2015–2020).
Sheen was also the 2003 recipient of the Marquette University Degree of Doctor of Letters, honoris causa for his work on social and Catholic issues. Throughout his 5 decades-long careers, Sheen has managed to work in over 120 films and over 60 series and documentaries as narrator.
On his 80th birthday, on August 3, 2020, Sheen was honored for his many memorable roles by his several fans and friends via social media sites. With such great respect for the actor, social media has been filling up with posts paying tribute to him on his special day, also honoring his work as an activist in addition to his impressive filmography.
What is Martin Sheen Famous for?
- Famous as a legendary American actor.
- Known for his roles in "The West Wing"(1999–2006) and "Apocalypse Now"(1979).
Where was Martin Sheen Born?
Martin Sheen was born on August 3, 1940, in Dayton, Ohio, United States. His birth name is Ramón Antonio Gerard Estevez. His nationality is American. Sheen belongs to White ethnicity while Leo is his zodiac sign.
Martin Sheen was born as the seventh child to Mary-Ann(mother) and Francisco Estévez Martínez(father). His parents were immigrants as his mother was from Borrisokane, County Tipperary, Ireland, and his father was born in Salceda de Caselas, Galicia, Spain. His father, Francisco worked as a factory worker/machinery inspector at the National Cash Register Company while her mother died just after Martin turned 11 in 1951.
Sheen grew up on Brown Street in the South Park neighborhood along with his 9 siblings: 8 brothers and a sister. His younger brother, Joe Estevez is also an actor, director, and producer. Martin was the first child to be born in Dayton, Ohio after the family returned from Bermuda. During birth, Sheen's left arm was crushed by forceps, giving him the limited lateral movement of that arm.
After the death of their mother, they faced the possibility of living in an orphanage fortunately they were able to remain together with the assistance of the Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Dayton.
Sheen graduated from Chaminade High School and at age of 14, he even organized a strike of golf caddies while working at a private golf club in Dayton, Ohio. He always had an interest in acting but his father disapproved of his interests. Despite his father's opposition, Sheen borrowed money from a Catholic priest and moved to New York City in his early twenties, hoping to become an actor.
Besides, he adopted his stage name, Martin Sheen, from a combination of the CBS casting director, Robert Dale Martin, who gave him his first big break, and the televangelist archbishop, Fulton J. Sheen.
Martin Sheen's Career Highlights
- Martin Sheen made his initial appearance in an episode of a television science fiction series, "The Outer Limits" in 1963. He then co-starred in the Broadway play, "The Subject Was Roses".
- He then appeared as a guest star on several TV series including "Insight"(1960s-1980s), "My Three Sons"(1964), "Flipper"(1967), "The F.B.I."(1968), "Mission: Impossible"(1969), and "The Streets of San Francisco"(1973).
- Sheen got his initial recognition as Timmy Cleary in "The Subject Was Roses"(1968), a role he originated on Broadway.
- Sheen portrayed Dobbs in the 1970 film adaptation of "Catch-22" and co-starred in the controversial Emmy Award-winning 1972 television film, "That Certain Summer".
- He got another breakthrough recognition with his role as Kit Carruthers in a crime drama, "Badlands"(1973).
- In 1974, Sheen portrayed a hot rod driver in the television movie, "The California Kid". For his portrayal of Pvt. Eddie Slovik in the television film, "The Execution of Private Slovik" even received an Emmy nomination.
- Sheen was then cast as a lead role of U.S. Army Captain Benjamin L. Willard in 1979's epic war film, "Apocalypse Now", gaining him wide recognition.
- He has played the role of U.S. President John F. Kennedy in the miniseries, "Kennedy"(1983), as Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy in the television special, "The Missiles of October"(1974).
- In 1999, he got his biggest breakthrough with the role of United States President Josiah Bartlet in the television series, "The West Wing". He got worldwide recognition for his role that lasted for over 7 years till 2006.
- In 2006, he played ill-fated cop Oliver Queenan in Martin Scorsese's Academy Award-winning film, "The Departed" opposite Leonardo DiCaprio. The same year, Sheen joined another all-star ensemble cast for the highly acclaimed feature, "Bobby" which was written and directed by his son, Emilio Estevez.
- In November 2010, Sheen was cast as Uncle Ben in Sony's 2012 reboot of the Spider-Man film series, "The Amazing Spider-Man".
- He has also played the role of the Illusive Man in the highly acclaimed video game Mass Effect 2, and the sequel, Mass Effect 3.
- In 2012, he played the role of Martin Goodson in a sitcom, "Anger Management" in which he appeared in 20 episodes.
- Sheen began playing the starring role in Netflix's "Grace and Frankie" since 2015.
Awards and Honors
- Emmy Award
- COFCA Award
- Golden Globe Award
- ALMA Award
- 2 SAG Awards
- TV Guide Award
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1989.
- Named honorary mayor of Malibu, California in 1989.
- Recipient of the Marquette University Degree of Doctor of Letters in 2003.
- Received great affinity for the University of Notre Dame and in 2008 was awarded the Laetare Medal.
- Awarded honorary life membership in the Law Society of University College Dublin in 2011
- Received an honorary Doctor of Human Letters degree from the University of Dayton in 2015.
Who is Martin Sheen's Wife and Children?
Martin Sheen is married to his only wife, Janet Templeton. Janet is also an American actress and producer with whom he got married happily on December 23, 1961. They together have 4 children together: 3 sons and a daughter all of who are successful actors. They welcomed their first son named Emilio Estevez on May 12, 1962, who is known for "Repo Man", "The Mighty Ducks".
Almost after a year, on August 7, 1963, they welcomed their second son named Ramón Sheen, who is also an actor and also runs Estevez Sheen Productions while their third son named Charlie Sheen born on September 3, 1965, is a well-known actor who was also the highest-paid actor on television and earned US$1.8 million per episode of "Two and a Half Men".
Their fourth child and only daughter, Renée Estevez born on April 2, 1967, is also an actress and screenwriter. Martin also has appeared alongside his sons Emilio Estevez and Charlie Sheen and daughter, Renée in various projects. Sheen and his son Ramon Estevez combined both their real and stage names to create the Warner Bros.-affiliated company, Estevez Sheen Productions.
Everything To Know About Charlie Sheen
Sheen turned to be a grandfather at age 43 when Emilio had a son with his girlfriend, Carey Salley. Currently, Sheen has a total of ten grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Besides, he celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary in 2011, the same year he stated that his wife, Janet was conceived through rape. His 80th birthday was celebrated in 2020 when his several fans and friends honored his several memorable roles via social media platforms.
He also had undergone a quadruple heart bypass operation in December 2015. Twelve months into filming, "Apocalypse Now", Sheen suffered a minor heart attack and had to crawl out to a road for help back in the 1970s.
What is the Net Worth of Martin Sheen?
Martin Sheen has quite great earnings from his professional career as an actor. Having started his stable and successful career since 1961, Sheen has managed to amass a healthy fortune from his several movies, documentaries, and series. His net worth is estimated to be around $60 million.
For season 1-4 of "The West Wing", he earned $450k per episode in total a whole worth of $13.4 million. For seasons 5, 6, and 7 he earned $300,000 per episode, approximately a total of $20 million in earnings, bringing his total salary from the show to around $33 million.
How Tall is Martin Sheen?
Martin Sheen is a good-looking man with charming personality in his early 80s. With his marvelous acting and charming personality, Sheen has managed to win several hearts all around the world. He stands tall with a height of 5ft. 6inch.(1.68m) while his body weighs around 87kg(192 lbs).
Trivias About Martin Sheen You Need To Know.
- During birth, Sheen's left arm was crushed by forceps, giving him a limited lateral movement of that arm, which is three inches (7.6 cm) shorter than his right.
- Sheen is an honorary trustee of the Dayton International Peace Museum.
- Sheen is an honorary trustee of the Dayton International Peace Museum.