Matt Lauer - Bio, Net Worth, Salary, News Anchor, Host, Nationality, Age, Facts, Wiki, Family, Career, Wife, Fired, Rape, Accusation, Brooke Nevils
A former American television news anchor is named Matthew Todd Lauer. He is popular by the name, Matt Lauer. He started his career in 1979 as a producer of the noon newscast for WOWK-TV in Huntington, West Virginia. He has worked for WNEV-TV, WNBC-TV before joining NBC News in 1992. He hosted and co-anchored several news programs at NBC News. NBC News terminated his contract in 2017 for several alleged sexual misconduct allegations.
Best known for
- He was one of the popular news anchors at NBC News.
- NBC News fired him in 2017 following sexual harassment allegations.
Early Life of Matt Lauer
The full name of Matt Lauer is Matthew Todd Lauer. He was born on 30 December 1957. He was born to Jay Robert Lauer and Marilyn Lauer. His birthplace is New York City in the United States. He holds American nationality. He attended Scripps College of Communication, School of Media Arts and Studies. At the age of 39, he completed his undergraduate degree from Ohio University.
Career of Matt Lauer
- In 1979, Lauer began his television career as a producer of the noon newscast for WOWK-TV in Huntington, West Virginia.
- He hosted Fame, Fortune and Romance, Talk of the Town, and 9 Broadcast Plaza before joining WNBC-TV in 1992.
- At WNBC-TV, he co-anchored Today in New York and early evening newscast, Live at Five.
- Lauer work at WNBC back in 1992 which garnered him with many opportunities. He was a fill-in anchor on Weekend Today and NBC News at Sunrise.
- He started as a fill-in news anchor in Today, NBC News, later became a full-time news anchor for Today in 1994.
- At NBC, he worked as a host at Christmas in Rockefeller Center and Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- He also anchored Dateline NBC and worked as a correspondent in Rock Center with Brian Williams at NBC News.
- He interviewed Prince William and Prince Harry and Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.
- While interviewing Charlie Sheen in November 2015, Sheen revealed that he was HIV-positive.
- He has also co-hosted several Olympic Games.
- He has appeared in the American sitcom Will & Grace in 2006.
- He has appeared in the 2009 film Land of the Lost and voiced for the 2009 animation sequel Curious George 2: Follow That Monkey!.
- He has also appeared in TV movies Sharknado 2: The Second One and Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!.
- In November 2017, Lauer was terminated from NBC following a sexual misconduct allegation by an unidentified female NBC employee.
Personal Life of Matt Lauer
Lauer's first wife is Nancy Alspaugh. She is a television producer and they got married in 1982. They split in 1989. Lauer then married Annette Roque, a Dutch model. They met on a blind date in 1997. They got married in October 1998 and have three children together. They are Jack, Romy, and Thijs. They separated in 2017 and their divorce is yet to be finalized.
Sexual Misconduct Allegations of Matt Lauer
NBC terminated Lauer's contract on 29 November 2017, after he was alleged for sexual misconduct by an unidentified NBC female employee. According to her, Lauer sexually harassed her during the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi in Russia. She reported that Lauer continued the harassment after they returned back to New York. NBC fired Lauer without any financial settlement. Later, several other accusations went public.
Lauer publicly apologized, "Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed."
A couple of weeks later, Today production assistant Addie Zinone made an additional accusation on Lauer. She said Lauer used his power to force her to have a sexual relationship with him, and she could not turn down Lauer because her career was in line.
Net Worth of Matt Lauer
The 60-years old anchor has earned over $100 million during his career at NBC. Lauer was paid $25 million a year, according to his contract with NBC News in 2012. Lauer's new contract in 2016 reportedly earned him $20 million a year. As of 2018, the net worth of Matt Lauer is estimated at around $85 million.
Trivias About Matt Lauer You Need To Know.
- In June 2005, Lauer interviewed Tom Cruise, a discussion about psychiatry and postpartum depression led into an argument.
- Lauer's was criticized and described as "ignorant" and "banal" for his commentary at the 2012 opening ceremony.
- In an interview with Charlee Sheen in November 2015, Sheen revealed that he has AIDs.