Simu Liu - Bio, Net Worth, Girlfriend, Age, Awards, Family, Height
Simu Liu is a Canadian actor, best known for the role of Jung in the CBC Television sitcom Kim's Convenience. He was nominated for a Canadian Screen Award for his work in Blood and Water. At Comic-Con 2019, it was announced that Liu will portray Shang-Chi in the Marvel Cinematic Universe beginning with his own film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. To know more about the actor, read below.
Simu Liu and Jade Bender made their red carpet debut at the 2022 ESPY Awards
Simu Liu and Jade Bender made their red carpet debut on 20th July 2022. He posed with his rumored girlfriend, Jade Bender, at the 2022 ESPY Awards on Wednesday night. He looked dapper in a dark textured suit along with black shoes, leaving the top buttons on his shirt undone to show off two gold chains around his neck. On the other side, Bender wore a shimmery off-the-shoulder mini dress, which she paired with silver hoop earrings and silver strappy heels. She kept her glam simple and natural, wearing her raven-colored locks in loose curls that draped over her shoulders. The couple's red carpet date night comes a few weeks after Liu and Bender were spotted at a taping of Jimmy Kimmel Live! together in Los Angeles. Just a week before, the pair were seen leaving dinner in the West Hollywood area of Los Angeles. They were both dressed casually as they left the restaurant together. Also, they have posed together at the 2019 Unforgettable Gala in nearby Beverly Hills.
Marvel’s ‘Shang-Chi’ Finds Its Lead
Marvel has found its next superhero.
The studio announced that Simu Liu has been tapped to star in “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” during its Hall H presentation at Comic-Con, joining cast member Awkwafina, who was also announced during the presentation. Additionally, Veteran actor Tony Leung has joined the film as The Mandarin, an uber-villain introduced in “Iron Man 3. “Destin Cretton is on board to direct.
Insiders say Liu was one of several actors who tested this week for the part and was chosen by Marvel just before the studio headed into Comic-Con.
The original Marvel Comics Shang-Chi follows Shang, a half-Chinese, half-American superhero created by writer Steve Englehart and artist Jim Starlin. In the comics, Shang-Chi is a master of numerous unarmed and weaponry-based wushu styles, including the use of the gun, nunchaku, and Jian. Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in 1973.
Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige is producing the film. Marvel’s Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz are executive producers on the project. Further, Liu was also recently tapped to join the cast of “Fresh Off the Boat” upcoming season.
What is Simu Liu known for?
Simu Liu is an actor, director-writer, and producer, perhaps best known to the world as Paul Xie in the TV series “Blood and Water”, and as Jung in the TV series “Kim’s Convenience”, among other differing appearances. He is also a well-known stage actor, making one of the most notable appearances at the Factory Theatre in the play “Banana Boys”, for which he earned a nomination for a Dora Mavor Moore Award in the Outstanding Ensemble category, with the rest of the cast.
Where is Simu Liu born?
Recalling his early life, Liu was born in Harbin, China and immigrated to Canada at the age of five. He was raised in Erin Mills, an area of Mississauga, Ontario. He is Canadian by nationality and belongs to Asian ethnicity. Ther is no information available regarding his parents and siblings on media yet.
Regarding his education, He attended the University of Toronto Schools for high school. For post-secondary, Simu studied 2 years at the University of Western Ontario and 2 years studying finance and accounting at the Ivey Business School. He worked as an accountant at Deloitte but was eventually laid off. He decided to explore other career options before deciding to pursue a career as an actor.
When did Simu Liu pursue his acting career?
- In the beginning, he worked as an accountant, but after being fired he pursued other careers until finally giving in to work as a stuntman, and later an actor.
- He made his debut as a stuntman in the sci-fi horror film “Sick” in 2012, and the same year appeared in the TV series “Nikita”. The following year, Liu was chosen for the role of Dustin in the TV sci-fi action series “Omega”, and also appeared in the film “Kung Fu Cops”, as Mr. Ying. Two years later he was chosen to be a stunt double in the TV series “Heroes Reborn”, and appeared in three episodes which earned him quite a reputation.
- This resulted in a role in the TV series “Blood and Water” (2015), which remains one of his most prominent roles so far, and two years later Simu was selected to portray Faaron in the TV action-drama series “Taken”, while in 2016 he secured the role of Jung in the TV comedy series “Kim’s Convenience” (2016-2017), which increased his net worth by a large margin. Similarly, Kim appeared in the TV series “The Expanse” (2018).
- In early 2019, it was announced that Liu would be joining the cast of ABC's Fresh Off the Boat as a guest star. He has been cast as the Marvel Comics superhero Shang-Chi in the upcoming film Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
- In September 2021, it was revealed that he will lead the English-language voice cast of "Bright: Samurai Soul", a Netflix anime film which premiered on 12 October.
- In February 2022, he joined the cast of Greta Gerwig's "Barbie" film for Warner Bros. and thriller film "Hello Stranger" directed by April Mullen.
Does Simu Liu have a girlfriend?
Speaking about his personal life, Simu is an unmarried man. He currently resides in Toronto with his dog named Barkley. When it comes to his relationships, he has maintained a low profile on this information. At present, he is rumored to be in a relationship with Jade Bender. Professionally, Jade Bender is an actress, model,TV personality and Social Media Influencer. They both have not confirmed their relationship status yet. His sexual orientation is straight.
Everything To Know About Jade Bender
Smu Liu and Jade Bender previously sparked romance rumors after being photographed together on multiple occasions, including a dinner in Los Angeles. On 20th July 2022, Simu Liu attended the 2022 ESPYS at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles to present one of the biggest awards of the night. But before handing out any trophy, the Barbie star walked the red carpet with a special someone. The actor was photographed posing with Senior Year star Jade Bender. The duo was spotted at the Backstage Creations Suite backstage at the ESPYS where Jade helped Simu try on faux fur coats from SpiritHoods to select the perfect style. The pair hasn't publicly commented on their status. Their romance rumors surfaced in June when Simu and Jade were photographed leaving dinner at Catch in West Hollywood, California. It's unclear how the pair first met, Simu and Jade were first photographed together at the Unforgettable Gala all the way back in 2019.
How much is Simu Liu net worth?
As per online sources, Simu Liu assumed the sum of good money from his career. His estimated net worth said to be $4 million at present. However, his salary is yet to disclose.
How tall is Simu Liu?
Observing his body statistics, Simu stands at a height of 6 feet and weighs around 79 Kg. He has brown hair and brown eyes. His other body information is yet to be disclosed. In the case of disclosure, we will let you know.
Trivias About Simu Liu You Need To Know.
- Worked at Deloitte & Touche LLP as an associate, passed his first of three Chartered Accountant examinations before switching careers.
- Was Pete Wentz's stunt double for the Fallout Boy music video for their hit single "Centuries".
- Was once a shirtless greeter for clothing retailer Abercrombie and Fitch