Tom Ford - Bio, Net Worth, Age, Married, Partner, Family, Parents, Awards, Nationality, Height, Facts, Wiki, Kids, Career, Movies, Education, Brand
Tom Ford is an American fashion designer as well as a filmmaker. He launched his eponymous luxury brand in the year 2006 and he has served as the Creative Director at luxury fashion houses "Gucci" and "Yves Saint Laurent" previously. He also wrote and directed the Academy Award-nominated films "A Single Man" (2009) and "Nocturnal Animals". As of today, he serves as the chairman of the Board of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Fashion designer Tom Ford's Husband, Richard Buckley dies at 72
Richard Buckley, a fashion journalist, and husband of designer and filmmaker Tom Ford has died, Ford's company confirmed Tuesday. He was 72. "It is with great sadness that Tom Ford announces the death of his beloved husband of 35 years, Richard Buckley. Richard passed away peacefully at their home in Los Angeles Sunday night with Tom and their son Jack by his side," a Ford representative said in a statement. The fashion journalist died of natural causes after a prolonged illness. Ford, 60, met Buckley, the former editor in chief of Vogue Hommes International, in an elevator at a fashion show in 1986, when the native Texan was 25 and the New Yorker was 38. Before being named to head up Vogue Hommes in 1999, Buckley did stints at Women's Wear Daily, Vanity Fair, and Mirabella after getting his start at New York magazine in 1979. "Our eyes locked, and within a month, we were living together," Ford once said on the Jess Cagle Interview show via People about meeting Buckley. "We have been together ever since." The couple's son, Alexander John Buckley Ford, was born in September 2012 via a surrogate. Buckley and family had moved to Los Angeles in recent years, after Ford bought the estate of the late socialite Betsy Bloomingdale in 2016, though they reportedly kept their London residence as well. Ford added, “By the time that elevator landed on the ground floor I thought, ‘You’re the one.’ That’s it. Click. Sold. It was literally love at first sight.”
What is Tom Ford Famous For?
- For his self-titled fashion brand and for dressing high profile celebrities.
- For heading luxury fashion houses like Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent as its creative director previously before launching his own luxury brand in 2006.
- For writing and directing the Academy Award-nominated films "A Single Man" (2009) and Nocturnal Animals (2016).
Where is Tom Ford From? Details About His Age, Family, Education
Tom Ford was born on 27th August 1961. His place of birth is in Austin, Texas, the USA whereas he spent his childhood in Houston, San Marcos, and Santa Fe. His birth name or real name is Thomas Carlyle Ford which was given to her by her parents. He holds American nationality and his ethnicity is American-White. His race is White. About his family, his father's name is Tom Ford Sr. and his mother's name is Shirley Burton. He also has a sibling; a sister named Jennifer Ford. His family moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico when he was 11. His present age is 60 as of 2021. Virgo is his Zodiac sign and his religion is Christian.
About his education, he attended St. Michael's High School in Santa Fe and later moved to Santa Fe Preparatory School, from which he graduated in 1979. Then, he studied interior architecture at The New School's art and design college, Parsons The New School for Design in New York City. He started visiting Studio 54, where he realized he was gay. The club's disco-era glamor would be a major influence on his later designs. Before his last year at New School, he spent a year and a half in Paris, where he worked as an intern in Chloé's press office, inspiring his interest in fashion. He spent his final year at The New School studying fashion but graduated with a degree in architecture. He enrolled at Bard College at Simon’s Rock and then moved to the Big Apple to study art history at New York University (NYU). He began to focus on acting for television commercials and dropped out of NYU after only one year. He then began studying architecture at Parsons The New School for Design.
Tom Ford Career Timeline
- Tom Ford initially was interested in working for Cathy Hardwick, an American designer. Due to this, he called her every day in the hope of securing a job.
- She eventually agreed to interview him. She later recalled the incident: "I had every intention of giving him no hope. I asked him who his favorite European designers were. He said, 'Armani and Chanel.' Months later I asked him why he said that, and he said, 'Because you were wearing something Armani.' Is it any wonder he got the job?" Ford worked as a design assistant for Hardwick for two years.
- In 1988, he started working at the clothing brand, Perry Ellis, with whom he worked for two years.
- In 1990, Mello hired Ford as the brand's chief women's ready-to-wear designer and Ford moved to Milan. During 1992, he took over as Gucci's design director and within a matter of months expanded menswear and other apparel sections. Additionally, he also led the brand's pret-a-porter fragrances, image, advertising, and store design.
- In the year 1994, he was promoted to Creative Director of Gucci. During his first year, he introduced Halston-style velvet hipsters, skinny satin shirts, and car-finish metallic patent boots. Then, he brought in French stylist Carine Roitfeld and photographer Mario Testino to create a series of new ad campaigns for the company.
- Between 1995 and 1996, sales at Gucci increased by 90%. Ford was the largest individual shareholder of Gucci stock and options. When Gucci acquired the house of Yves Saint Laurent (YSL) in 1999, Ford was named Creative Director of that label.
- When Ford left in 2004, Gucci Group was valued at $10 billion. Four people were hired to split the work Ford had done.
- Then, he launched a new line of beauty, eyewear, accessories, and menswear, which he introduced under the "Tom Ford" label two years later.
- He has also dressed Beyoncé, Jennifer Lopez, Gwyneth Paltrow, Anne Hathaway, Daniel Craig, Tom Hanks, Johnny Depp, Ryan Gosling, Will Smith, Julianne Moore, Hugh Jackman, Jon Hamm, and Henry Cavill. Ford designed Daniel Craig's suits for his final four James Bond films: Quantum of Solace (2008), Skyfall (2012), Spectre (2015), and No Time to Die (2021).
- He was mentioned in Justin Timberlake's song "Suit & Tie" in 2013.
- Also, he went on to dress Timberlake's 20/20 Experience World Tour, designing over 600 pieces for the tour.
- Jay-Z released a song titled "Tom Ford" with "Tom Ford" rapped numerous times within the song. Following the song's release, he received a huge spike in online search engine queries. The song would go on to sell over a million copies and become certified platinum.
- His design for an evening gown was featured in the 2019 Met Gala in New York as worn by Hollywood actor Gemma Chan on the runway and staircase of the event in May 2019.
- He released a new product, called the "Penis Pendant Necklace" in 2014.
Tom Ford As A Film Director
- Tom Ford announced the launch of his film production company, "Fade to Black" in March 2005.
- He then made his directorial debut with "A Single Man" in the year 2009. "A Single Man" premiered on 11th September 2009, at the 66th Venice International Film Festival.
- In the year 2015, he became attached to direct "Nocturnal Animals", an adaptation of the Austin Wright novel Tony and Susan. The film was released in the year 2016.
Awards and Achievements
- 1995: International Award - Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA)
- 1997: People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People
- 1999: Style Icon Award - Elle Style Awards UK
- 2000: Best International Designer - VH1/Vogue Awards
- 2000: Fashion Editors Club of Japan Award
- 2000: British GQ International Man of the Year Award
- 2000: Superstar Award - Fashion Group International
- 2001: Womenswear Designer of the Year - CFDA
- 2001: Best Fashion Designer - Time Magazine
- 2001: Designer of the Year - GQ USA
- 2002: Accessory Designer of the Year Award for Yves Saint-Laurent - CFDA
- 2003: Fashion Design Achievement Award - Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum's National Design Awards
- 2004: Board of Directors Special Tribute - CFDA
- 2004: Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award
- 2004: International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame
- 2005: André Leon Talley Lifetime Achievement Award - Savannah College of Art & Design
- 2006: Accessory Brand Launch - Accessories Council Excellence Awards
- 2007: GLAAD Media Awards - Vito Russo Award
- 2007: DNR's Person of the Year
- 2008: Menswear Designer of the Year - CFDA
- 2009: Venice Film Festival - Golden Lion for A Single Man (nominee)
- 2009: Venice Film Festival - Queer Lion for A Single Man
- 2009: Critics' Choice Awards - Best Adapted Screenplay for A Single Man (nominee)
- 2009: Independent Spirit Awards - Best First Screenplay for A Single Man (nominee)
- 2009: Independent Spirit Awards - Best First Feature for A Single Man (nominee)
- 2009: Honored as one of GQ USA's Men of the Year
- 2009: GQ Germany Man of the Year
- 2010: GLAAD Media Awards - Outstanding Film Wide Release for A Single Man
- 2010: Menswear Designer of the Year - CFDA (nominee)
- 2012: All-TIME 100 Fashion Icons - Member
- 2013: Named one of the 50 best-dressed over the 50s by The Guardian.
- 2014: Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award - CFDA
- 2015: Menswear Designer of the Year - CFDA
- 2015: Named in British GQ's 50 best-dressed men in Britain
- 2016: Venice Film Festival - Grand Jury Prize for Nocturnal Animals
- 2016: Satellite Auteur Award
Who is Tom Ford Husband? Know About His Sexuality, Partner, Son
Tom Ford is a married man. He tied a knot to his partner, Richard Buckley in the year 2014. By profession, Richard Buckley was a journalist as well as a former editor in chief of Vogue Hommes International. Since 1986, they were in a relationship. After three years of their togetherness, Buckley was diagnosed with cancer. After his partner recovered, Tom and Richard moved to Italy. The duo is also blessed with a son named Alexander John Buckley Ford, who was born in September 2012 via gestational surrogate. He is gay as per his sexual orientation. Sadly, his partner, Richard Buckley dies at 72 on 19th September 2021 and his cause of death was a long illness.
Tom Ford has said in multiple interviews that his first lover was the artist Ian Falconer, who went on to write and illustrate the very popular Olivia the Pig children's book series. He maintains that he and Falconer are still good friends; decades after their breakup, Ford lent Falconer's last name to the title character of his first movie, "A Single Man".
How much is Tom Ford Net Worth?
Tom Ford is a well-recognized and famed fashion designer, film director, screenwriter, actor, and film producer whose net worth is estimated to have $500 Million as of 2021. He is living a luxurious lifestyle as of today. Without a doubt, his annual salary will be surely in the millions. His main source of wealth comes from his fashion designing career. Не mаdе hіѕ hundrеdѕ оf mіllіоnѕ frоm wоrkіng fоr "Guссі" fоr mоrе thаn а dесаdе, frоm hіѕ оwn lаbеl, аnd frоm thе two ТV mоvіеѕ thаt hе іѕ thе dіrесtоr аnd рrоduсеr оf. His mоvіеѕ "Nосturnаl Аnіmаlѕ" аnd "А Ѕіnglе Маn", bоth grоѕѕеd mоrе thаn $25 mіllіоn аt thе bох оffісе.
How tall is Tom Ford and how much does he weigh?
Tom Ford is a handsome and charming man whose body type is slim. He has a tall and perfect height of 5 ft 11½ in or 181.5 cm and his balanced weight consist of 76 kg or 167.5 lbs. His hair color is dark brown and his eyes color is light brown. He has short hair and he often wears his signature glass. He told Vogue he had adopted a vegan diet after viewing a Netflix documentary called "What the Health". His other body measurements are still to get unfold yet. He has a healthy body as of today.
Trivias About Tom Ford You Need To Know.
- Previously, Tom Ford served as the Creative Director at luxury fashion houses "Gucci" and "Yves Saint Laurent".
- At present, he serves as the chairman of the Board of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
- He wrote and directed the Academy Award–nominated films "A Single Man" (2009) and "Nocturnal Animals".
- He has a siblings; a siser named Jennifer Ford.
- Virgo is his Zodiac sign.