Blair Underwood - Bio, Net Worth, Story, Married, Wife, Nationality, Age, Parents, Family, Siblings, Height, Wiki, Awards, Career, Divorce, Children
Blair Erwin Underwood, popularly known as Blair Underwood is an American actor. Underwood is best known for his role as attorney Jonathan Rollins in the NBC legal drama series, L.A. Law and Dr. Ben Turner in the CBS medical drama television series, City of Angels. He has starred in numerous movies and television shows. For his works, he has received two Golden Globe Award nominations, five NAACP Image Awards, one Daytime Emmy Award and one Grammy Award.
What is Blair Underwood Famous For?
- His role as attorney Jonathan Rollins in the NBC legal drama series, L.A. Law and Dr.
- His role as Ben Turner in the CBS medical drama television series, City of Angels.
Where is Blair Underwood From?
Blair Underwood was born on 25 August 1964. His birth name is Blair Erwin Underwood. His birth place is in Tacoma, Washington in the United States. He holds an American nationality. He was born to his father Frank Eugene Underwood Sr. and his mother Marily Ann Scales. As his father was in the military, he lived on bases and Army Posts in the United States and Germany throughout his childhood. He belongs to the African-American ethnicity and his religion is Christianity. His DNA test showed that he is a descendant of the Babungo people of Cameroon. The DNA test also connected his ancestry to Bamum, Brong, and Igbo ethnic groups of Western Africa.
Regarding his educational background, he attended Petersburg High School. He later attended Carnegie Mellon School of Drama where he is an honorary member of the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity.
Blair Underwood Career
- Blair Underwood made his acting debut as well as his film debut with the 1985 musical film, Krush Groove.
- He made his television debut in a guest role in the action crime drama series, Knight Rider in the same year.
- After several minor roles, he landed his first major role but a short stint on the ABC soap opera One Life to Live. He appeared as Bobby Blue.
- He landed another major role as Terry Corsaro in the crime drama series Downtown.
- Underwood made his breakthrough when he landed the role of attorney Jonathan Rollins in the NBC legal drama series, L.A. Law in 1987.
- He starred in the series until it ended in 1994.
- For his role in the show, he received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor - Series, Miniseries or Television Film in 1991.
- He won NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for the same role.
- Underwood starring other major television series are High Incident, City of Angels, Sex and the City, Fatherhood, LAX, The New Adventures of Old Christine, Dirty Sexy Money, In Treatment, The Event, Ironside, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and Quantico among others.
- For his role as Dr. Ben Turner in City of Angels, he won NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series.
- He earned NAACP Image Award nominations for his television roles in The Adventures of Old Christine, Dirty Sexy Money, and The Event.
- He was nominated for Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor and NAACP Image Award for his role in In Treatment.
- Underwood starring major films are Posse (1993), Just Cause (1995), Gattaca (1997), Deep Impact (1998), Rules of Engagement (2002), G (2002), Full Frontal (2002), Malibu's Most Wasted (2003), Something New (2006), Madea's Family Reunion (2006), The Bridge to Nowhere (2009), The Art of Getting By (2011), I Will Follow (2011), Woman Thou Art Loosed: On the 7th Day (2012), The After Party (2018), Juanita (2019), and Bad Hair (2020) among others.
- He won NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for his role in the 2000 war and legal drama film Rules of Engagement.
- Underwood has also starred in numerous television films.
- He earned NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special nominations for his roles in television films, Murder in Mississippi, Soul of the Game, Mama Flora's Family, The Trip to Bountiful.
- For his role in the 1990 television film, Murder in Mississippi, he was nominated for NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special.
- For his role in the 1996 television film, Soul of the Game, he was nominated for NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actor in a Television Movie, Mini-Series or Dramatic Special.
- He won a Grammy Award for Best Spoken Word Album for An Inconvenient Truth in 2009.
- He played attorney Bobby Burns in the Netflix miniseries When They See Us in 2019.
- He co-starred opposite Octavia Spencer in the Netflix miniseries Self Made: Inspired by the Life of Madam C. J. Walker in 2019.
Blake Underwood Wife
Blake Underwood is currently single. Underwood was previously married to Desiree DaCosta. The couple got married in 1994. They share three children together, Blake, Brielle, and Paris. After 27 years of marriage, the couple announced their split in 2021. He wrote on Instagram,
"After a tremendous amount of thought, prayer & work on ourselves individually & collectively, we have come to the conclusion to end our marriage that began 27 years ago. It has truly been a beautiful journey. Our proudest achievements are our three incredible children. Three souls to which God entrusted us. We continue to be awed & humbled by the blessings of parenting. We have always put their best interests first & will continue to do so. We will continue to be the best of friends and co-parents and have the utmost respect for one another as we embark upon this new chapter of our lives, separately. We thank you all for your support throughout the years & we humbly ask for privacy & understanding during this new season of change."
Blair Underwood Height
Actor Blair Underwood stands at a height of 1.81 m i.e. 5 feet and 11 inches tall. He has a body weight of 174 lbs i.e. 78 kg. He has an average body build. His eye color is dark brown and his hair color is black. His sexual orientation is straight.
Blair Underwood Net Worth
Blair Underwood is one of the familiar names in Hollywood. He has spent most of his life in the entertainment industry. The majority of his income comes from his acting career. He has starred in numerous movies and television series to date. At present, his net worth is estimated at $8 million.
Trivias About Blair Underwood You Need To Know.
- His father was a United States Army colonel and his mother was an interior decorator.
- He grew up in bases and Army Posts due to his father's military career.
- People magazine voted Underwood one of "50 Most Beautiful People" in 2000.
- In 2007, Underwood portrayed Jesus Christ in Inspired By… The Bible Experience, an 89-hour, celebrity-voiced, fully dramatized audio Bible based on Today's New International Version.
- Underwood co-authored the novel Casanegra: A Tennyson Hardwick Novel with husband-and-wife team Steven Barnes and Tananarive Due.
- In 2012, he played the lead role of Stanley in the Broadway revival of A Streetcar Named Desire.
- He played Captain Richard Davenport in the Broadway revival of Charles Fuller's Pulitzer Prize-winning drama A Soldier's Play.
- He won the 1993 Humanitarian Award for his work with the Los Angeles chapter of the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
- In 2003, along with Ashley Judd, he served as the spokesperson for YouthAIDS.
- He is involved with the AIDS Healthcare Foundation's Blair Underwood Clinic in Washington, DC.
- He is a Trustee for the Robey Theatre Company in Los Angeles, a non-profit theatre group founded by Danny Glover, focusing on plays about the Black experience.
- He supported President Barack Obama's candidacy.